Amalgams are people who have had animal parts grafted unto their bodies. These grafts give the person some useful resistances, enhanced senses, and the use of a tail. Unfortunately, in order for the grafts to function properly it is necessary for the person to receive them prior to puberty. Furthermore, the process involves years of painful acclimation. Because of this, people who become amalgams voluntarily are unheard of. They are almost always kidnapped by their creators, and usually created for some sort of forced labor. This forced labor is usually some sort of wilderness work, such as seeking out and harvesting rare but useful plants, working on hidden plantations, transporting illegal materiels, or any number of other things. Their animal part grafts enhance their ability to do this sort of work by making them well suited to handling difficult terrain and working for extended periods.
Most amalgams encountered outside their master's custody are escaped slaves, and for them adventuring is a natural pursuit. They have no culture or place in the world, and many people find them monstrous, so living the life of an adventurer is often easier than settling down. They are durable, strong willed, and perceptive, and are skilled at a large variety of combat roles, but are not often well educated and therefore not particularly skilled in more scholarly pursuits.
Alamgams can have a great many appearances, depending on what animal parts were grafted on to them. Most have animal eyes and ears, with color varying widely based on where they came from. They also usually have tails, which come in handy as additional appendages, allowing them to do some things faster. Some, but not all, have fur all over their bodies instead of just on their animal parts. Animal internal organs are also common.
- Type: Monstrous Humanoid (Augmented and Human subtypes) (Note that being monstrous humanoids provides amalgams with darkvision out to 60 feet)
- Medium: Amalgams are Medium creatures and have no bonuses or penalties due to their size.
- +2 Constitution, +2 Wisdom
- Climb: Amalgams have a climb speed of 20 ft., and gain the +8 racial bonus on Climb checks that a climb speed normally grants.
- Swim: Amalgams have a swim speed of 30 ft. and gain the +8 racial bonus on Swim checks that a swim speed normally grants.
- Desert Runner: Amalgams receive a +4 racial bonus on Constitution checks and Fortitude saves to avoid fatigue, exhaustion, or other ill effects from running, forced marches, starvation, thirst, or hot or cold environments.
- Prehensile Tail: Amalgams have a long, flexible tail that can be used to carry objects. They cannot wield weapons with their tail, but they can retrieve small stowed objects carried on their person as a swift action.
- Skill Bonus: Amalgams recieve a +2 racial bonus on Perception checks.
Favored Class Options
- The amalgam favored class options are those listed for humans in the Advanced Player's Guide.